Type of Grants:
The IEEE INFOCOM 2018 conference is pleased to announce the availability of the following type of student travel grants:
A. Travel grants sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc).
B. US National Science Foundation (NSF) travel grant opportunity for US-based students.
Following the application guidelines below, a student may apply to one or more of the two categories for which he/she is eligible. The eligibility criteria for each category are:
A. These student travel grants are sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society. Applications are invited from qualified full-time graduate students. To qualify, a student must (i) be a valid Student Member of the ComSoc at the time of application; (ii) be a full-time student registered toward a Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in engineering or related field in a college or university when submitting the application; (iii) be an author who will present an accepted paper at INFOCOM 2018; (iv) applicant may not receive more than one IEEE ComSoc STG in any 12-month period.
B. These student travel grants are sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation (approval pending). To qualify, a student must be a full-time student at US institutions and a first-time attendee to INFOCOM. Priorities will be given to those who do not have papers accepted by INFOCOM 2018 OR from under-represented groups (women, minorities and people with disabilities). No more than one student per institution will be awarded. Student recipients will be reimbursed (based on valid receipt) after the conference. In order to have their airfare to be reimbursed by this type of STG, students must book their flights from US-based carriers.
The preference will be given to students who have registered the main conference by January 31, 2018. All recipients of the student travel grants are required to register the main conference by the awardee acceptance deadline, February 21, 2018, at a Full Registration rate or a Student Registration rate. The final award is contingent upon the recipient showing a proof of registration, by emailing the receipt of registration to the student travel grant chairs.
An application for a student travel grant will consist of the following documents, and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A request letter from the student (see below).
- The student's Curriculum Vitae.
- A recommendation letter from the student's graduate advisor.
- An estimate of the following costs of attending INFOCOM: airfare, hotel, and conference registration. It is anticipated that travel grants will partially cover these overall costs.
The letter from the student should be at most one page, and include the following information:
- The type(s) of student travel grant (A and/or B) that the student is applying for.
- Whether the student is a first-time attendee and whether the student has an authored paper being accepted by INFOCOM 2018 and the paper title (if available)
- A brief summary of research interests and accomplishments to date; students should demonstrate a serious interest in networking, through their course work and projects.
- A description of areas reflected in the INFOCOM 2018 program that would impact the student’s research.
- A statement about why the conference attendance is important to the student.
- Whether and when the student has received US NSF or IEEE ComSoc travel grants before.
The advisor's recommendation letter for the student should include:
- Confirmation that student is a bona fide full-time Ph.D. or M.S. candidate in good academic standing at the given institution.
- The suitability of the INFOCOM 2018 program material to the student’s research area.
- Ways this particular student would benefit from attendance at the conference.
- The strengths and potential contributions of the student.
- The advisor’s commitment to covering the student’s travel cost in excess of the travel grant.
Applicants should create their application as a single PDF file, following the format described above. After login to EDAS, click on the “Travel Grants" tab, look for a conference called "INFOCOM 2018 Student Travel Grant", and then submit the application.
Jan. 31, 2018 at 23:59 EST
Feb. 14, 2018
Awardee Acceptance Deadline
Feb. 21, 2018